Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Gift Making


I love giving gifts. I love making things. I love making things to give to people. Making things is fun, because I get to open my heart and un-leash some creativity. It’s also a great way to learn from and share time with friends.  Last holiday season, the most recent holiday season, I experimented with making bath and beauty projects. They're a great gift any time of the year and I plan on making more and trying new recipes. Here's what I made this winter:

  • Felted soap 
  • Body balm
  • Bath salts
  • Re-purposed candles 
  • Comfrey salve

Felted soap: I learned how to make felted soap from my boyfriend’s mom. She saw them in Anthropologie (one of my favorite shops!) and went home and figured out how to make them. You Tube is also a great reference for anyone wanting to give it a go.

Body balm and bath salts: I figured these two out on my own after doing lots of online research. Though, the labeling was in collaboration with three girlfriends.

Re-purposed candles: Making re-purposed candles was last years’ Christmas project with my only friend who shares my enthusiasm for Christmas AND making things.

Comfrey salve: I used comfrey from my own backyard that steeped in olive oil for 4 weeks before being made into salve. My friend who has done several outdoor survival and tracking trainings helped me out with this project.

                                          
Felted soap
                                           
 Balms, salve, and candles prettily packaged

Bath salts in bags, balms, and candles packaged and on their stands at my work station

Try making some home made goodies for yourself; I really like the formate and recipes on this site: http://www.makeyourcosmetics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment