Monday, April 4, 2011

Sapodilla Pie

o la la, the weekend is over, now what? THE WEEK!

Right NOW, I am undertaking the baking of Sapodilla pie! I'll let you know how it turns out! The recipe is below, but if you can find out more about Sapodillas from the Tropical Fruit Growers of South Florida.

Photo credit: Ian McGuire


Sapodilla Pie
Recipe from Fairchild Tropical Gardens
1 cup sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves
3 eggs
1½ cup mashed ripe sapodilla
1 cup milk
1 cup yogurt
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 unbaked 9″ deep-dish pie shell
Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix sugar, salt and cloves in small dish. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in sapodilla  and sugar/clove mixture. Gradually stir in milk, yogurt, honey and vanilla. Pour into pie shell. Bake 15 minutes; turn temperature down to 350°F and bake 20 to 30 minutes more or until firm. Serve with whipped cream.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I ate those in India and never knew what they were called or where I could get them! I've been searching for years (more like thinking about them randomly). Thanks for posting this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I can't even remember where I ate them but on wikipedia it mentions India. All I have is vague memory of these fruits and I remember I loved them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D I'm glad you like it! Maybe you can find some where you are...

    ReplyDelete