Wednesday, June 2, 2010

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.” - Isak Dinesen

After spending two days at the beautiful Moody Beach in Southern Maine, it's easy to understand why doctors used to prescribe their patients a season at the seaside to cure whatever ailed them. Taking one gulp of that tickling, crisp, lively air is enough to start re-patterning and re-enlivening the body's cells and systems.

For over 2,000 years humans have been utilizing the healing properties of salt. The Egyptians are said to have used it as a disinfectant in 1600 B.C. The Greeks drank salty/mineralized water to aid digestive ailments and breathed steam from salt water for respiratory problems in 460 B.C.; and the Romans expanded the repertoire of salt as medicine by using it as a laxative and to aid earaches in 100 A.D.

Ocean of Forms
by Rabindranath Tagore

I dive down into the depth of the ocean of forms,
hoping to gain the perfect pearl of the formless.

No more sailing from harbor to harbor with this my weather-beaten boat.
The days are long passed when my sport was to be tossed on waves.

And now I am eager to die into the deathless.

Into the audience hall by the fathomless abyss
where swells up the music of toneless strings
I shall take this harp of my life.

I shall tune it to the notes of forever,
and when it has sobbed out its last utterance,
lay down my silent harp at the feet of the silent

No comments:

Post a Comment